Mental Health Occupational Therapy (Brisbane / SEQ)
Who can we help?
Do it with Purpose OT provides integrative occupational therapy with a focus on empowered healing, wellbeing, and sustainable functional recovery to assist individuals who have experienced adverse life circumstances. Our Occupational Therapists can support people living with
- Depression and anxiety disorders (including but not limited to generalised anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder and panic disorder).
- Psychotic illnesses
- Personality disorders
- Trauma and/or associated complex PTSD (including but not limited to PTSD/CPTSD)
- Neurodivergent conditions (Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD).
- Neurological disabilities (including but not limited Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Dementia, Parkinson’s, Motor Neurone Disease (MND), Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
What can I expect?
Mental Health Occupational Therapists are trained in specific treatment techniques to aid in the overall goal of improving function and enabling people to engage in meaningful occupations (or daily activities). We explore how you participate in your meaningful occupations within your sensory, social and physical environments and we apply our knowledge and evidence-based practice to support you to work toward your goals and live a life that aligns with who you want to be.
We are here to
- Support you to develop autonomy, build self-management skills and develop healthy routines which support your wellbeing.
- Work closely with you to develop your very own wellness toolkit for stress management and emotion regulation.
- Support you to develop coping techniques to manage the symptoms of your mental illness.
- Help you to connect with your community in a way that is meaningful to you.
- Support you to develop communication skills and increase confidence in social situations.
- Assist you to develop daily living skills including managing personal hygiene, medication management, shopping, meal preparation, household tasks, using technology, using public transport and financial management.
- Educate you and your support network on effective ways to support you through carefully graded changes to your everyday life.
- Encourage and support you to develop healthy habits and a positive mindset to promote health and well-being.
Occupational Therapy services available
- Functional Capacity Assessments and Reports including assessing for Supported Independent Living (SIL), Independent Living Option (ILO) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA).
- Pre-planning and plan review reports and NDIS progress reports.
- Functional goal setting, and independent skill building in the home and the community.
- Establishing positive habits and routines
- Sensory assessments, sensory modulation and individualised sensory plans
- Minor home modifications (grab rails, handheld shower)
- Prescription of low-cost assistive technology
- Social skill development and building healthy relationships
- Stress management and distress tolerance
- Improve cognitive skills and implement compensatory strategies to maintain/increase your independence and enable you to engage in meaningful activities.
- Motivational tools and assessments
- Leisure and role-based assessments
- Mental health personal safety plans
- Education and support for families, carers, and individual’s support network
- Mindfulness, meditation, and relaxation strategies
In addition, we can support additional funding streams including Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA), Life insurance, Workcover and privately funded clients.
Submit a Referral
Submit an online referral via the link below.